Library secures early printed books
Two of the first ever books to be printed in Scotland have been bought from private ownership by the National Library of Scotland.
'Real' Cider with Rosie dies at 99
The woman who inspired "Rosie" in Laurie Lee's autobiographical novel Cider with Rosie dies four days before her 100th birthday.
Golding Flies classic marks 60 years
William Golding's daughter Judy Carver talks fondly of her author father and his celebrated work Lord of the Flies as the classic novel marks its 60th year.
Jacobson makes Booker shortlist
Former Booker winner Howard Jacobson is among the three British writers, two Americans and an Australian to make this year's shortlist.
Man Booker Prize 2014: At a glance
This year's Man Booker Prize includes writers from Britain, the United States and Australia. It is the first year that the prize has been open to all authors writing in English, regardless of nationality.
900 pages is too long for a novel, says Ian McEwan
His books come in at around the 200-page mark - short novels is how he describes them - Ian McEwan thinks 900-page novels don
Musician Watt makes non-fiction list
Everything But The Girl musician Ben Watt is announced as part of the 15-strong longlist for the Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction.
Dahl draft spills Factory secrets
Little-known characters and incidents that could have featured in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are released by the Roald Dahl estate.
7 Trilogies That Are As Good As
Oldest book prize winners unveiled
A novel inspired by the daily toil of a shepherdess and a biography of a Booker prize-winning author win the UK's oldest literary awards.
I have just completed the wonderful book "Elephant Moon" by John Sweeney. Which books can you recommend with animals in the title - whether they are relevent to the story or not!
- Death of an Old Goat - Robert Barnard
- Elephants can remember - Agatha Christie
- The Silver Pigs - Lindsey Davis
- The Penguin who knew too Much - Donna Andrews
- Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos - Donna Andews
- Murder with Peacocks - Donna Andrews
- The Good Husband of Zebra Drive - Alexander McCall Smith
- The Eagle of the Nineth - Rosemary Sutcliffe
- Where Eagles Dare - Alistair Maclean
- The Eagle has Landed - Frederick Forsyth
- The Fourth Bear - Jasper Fforde
- Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters
- The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Tiger's Child - Torey hayden
- Elephant Moon - John Sweeney
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon